Saturday, January 21, 2012

Style Icon: Etta James


I know I mentioned it briefly yesterday I thought I should dedicate a post to her. The one and only Etta James.



Her voice was raspy, strong, and fierce. And she, well Etta was a force to be reckoned with! She had a "fuck you" attitude and didn't care what anyone thought of her. Etta was a real woman. She was incredibly strong for all the hell she went through and kept on singing. I of course became a fan of Etta James when I was the tender age of 5 and my mother played me this song:


I said "Mommy, who is this women?" and my mother told me "Honey, this women is going to teach you how to love better than I ever could."


Oh, so true! I listen to Etta when the weather sucks (which is a lot), when I got my first boyfriend, when I got my heart broken for the first time, when I thought all was lost, and now I listen to her to keep her spirit alive. She was always there for me in the strangest of ways. Etta James will live on forever. And like Nina, Billie, and Joni; Etta will always have a very, very special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment